Monday, December 27, 2010

The Skeleton Church in Kutna Hora

Kutna Hora isn't your typical spot to go to while traveling through Europe. And it was because of Contiki that I actually went here, and was pretty happy I did too!

Kutna Hora isn't far from Prague, on the way to Vienna (by bus). And what it's known for is the Sedlec Ossuary, the skeleton church.

What is a skeleton church you might ask? It pretty much explains itself... It's a church filled with skeletons!! What happened here, in Kutna Hora, was back in the early 16th century the grave yard was overfilled and more room was needed. So it was ordered to dig up old graves (creepy!) and with the remaining skeletons they were placed in the church.

Some people were a little creeped out by all of the skeletons, I sort of thought it was cool. Klutzy me, I set off the alarm because I got too close to take a picture (The first picture above, oopse!)

No comments:

Post a Comment