Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A little of Berlin...

So as I predicted, I'm not always the best at updating the blog. Since getting to Berlin there hasn't been a lot of wifi for me to use and I've only been in my hotel to change, shower, and sleep.

Berlin was absolutely amazing! I had learned about most of Berlin's history through history but it really comes alive once your there. The city had been completely bombed back in World War II but everything had been reconstructed and the city looks great. You can tell where some statues and buildings were effected by bombs and shots and other war like activity by often a white spot on the building which means that it was filled in.
I also found the history of the Berlin Wall and the split between East and West Berlin to be amazing. I know that I learned the basics, but when you're learning history in school, that is a period of time that is fairly close to the present and often waited to touch upon all the way until the end of May (the very end of the school year) and you find that your teacher is crunching in only the important and basic facts that you'll need to know for you final. I don't think I learned about a single escape or attempt to escape and I never knew that the wall only took six weeks to complete, just to name a few.

A very nice part of Berlin was that it was my birthday! Yes, I remembered to mention to people on the tour that it was my birthday. We happened to do a great pub crawl that night where we had to find clues to the next pub. In addition to a pub crawl on my birthday, I went to the top of the Cathedral's Dome and had a beautiful view of the city, went to the New Synagogue, and had Sushi!

No comments:

Post a Comment